| An Evil Plan Is Born |
Having understood the problems, it becomes easier to decide on the requirements of the solution. An analysis of the problems above reveals that most of them would be resolved if we had a system which:
1. offered a central storage area for group documents;
2. used some manner of secure access to ensure that only users with appropriate permissions viewed or edited sensitive information;
3. made it possible to identify which users were working on which documents at any point in time;
4. tracked the changes made to each document;
5. offered a quick and easy way to locate documents in a large repository, and categorize them according to type;
6. provided a framework for multiple users to collaborate on a document, without imposing any special software requirements or constraints on them.
I initially debated restricting the system to text documents only; however, since we use a variety of different applications for internal communication (spreadsheets, documents, project schedules, schematics), I decided to also allow users to upload binary files of any type (administrators should, of course, have the option to restrict certain file types if necessary.)
This, therefore, constitutes the initial feature set for our application. If I am able to meet these basic requirements, it will make a lot of people very happy, and more features will be requested. Once I have enough requests for more features, I plan to go to the guy in the corner office and ask him to make me a manager, double my salary, give me my own office and assign me to the project full-time. Ahhhh haa haa ha ha!
How to do Everything with PHP & MySQL
How to do Everything with PHP & MySQL, the best-selling book by Melonfire, explains how to take full advantage of PHP's built-in support for MySQL and link the results of database queries to Web pages. You'll get full details on PHP programming and MySQL database development, and then you'll learn to use these two cutting-edge technologies together. Easy-to-follow sample applications include a PHP online shopping cart, a MySQL order tracking system, and a PHP/MySQL news publishing system.
Read more, or grab your copy now!